So by now I expect you will have heard about the *ahem* great series called The Raven cycle by *ahem* the great Maggie Steifvater.
(If you haven’t, um, what?)
So like I said, the series is *GREAT*, which is basically me containing all my feelings for this *somuchgreat* series. If I let my heart unleash the real meaning of *great*, that’s all this post would be about.
But because of a different objective, I have just used the *ahem* great.
This post is basically about how it’s so *great*. I read the first book in the series and I just noted my favorite and most liked parts and the little things that make the series so *great*! So follow me (into a list that is infinite):
[Basically, I took notes while reading parts of the book. Read only if you’ve read the book, it’ll only make sense then. I hope this list reminds you of them, the Raven boys and you remember the little things you forgot and the whole magic of it.]
Did you know that Blue needs sleep for quality spikes (for Noah to pet)?
- Adam sending Blue flowers- “I hope you still want me to call.” So little, but so much- because it’s Adam. Again, so little, but so much, because it’s Blue.
- Adam and Blue’s first conversation on the phone and Blue being so unapologetic-ally herself. Man, Blue is self-confident goals.
- Their first trip in a helicopter – Adam being sweet – witty conversations and an over-protective Ronan (kinda always) – Blue observing Gansey closely to find out who is he really – Gansey being subtly intimate with his journal *so much love*
- The demeanors they all posses, Gansey polished, Adam shifting, Ronan carefree, Noah confused.
- How to know if Ronan is cool with you – he’s making jokes or insulting you.
- Maggie Steifvater writes feeling so well (*inserts entire book*)
- Gansey watching Blue thumb his journal like the back of his hand ->advice on making spectacular characters.
- Gansey and Adam’s no speak required bond which Blue is jealous off.
- Adam’s hair is the same colorless brown as tips of old grass.
- How Gansey is so unknowingly condescending but that’s just Gansey.
- The soul, the animus, the quiddity – the whatness.
- Oh, these boys- how they’ve fallen for Blue.
- Blue & Adam holding hands – what a strange combination – the bizarre looking sharp girl – the quiet frayed looking delicate elegant boy.
- Pages- 223 + 233 + 234.
- Blue’s vision in the hallucinatory tree- Gansey asking her to kiss him (THE RAVEN KING????????)
- He likes the name Jane. (this is how he starts calling her Jane)
- Sigh – with so my happiness it’s like sadness. (from actually book line)
- Ronan is baby mama (to Chainsaw and everyone)
- What came first- Blue treating the boys as friends, or them all becoming friends?
- Gansey is like the one they come to after, he sorts them out.
- Gansey saying Top Shelf.
- How Blue is slightly daunted at the prospect of seeing Gansey alone – they’re such a unit, they’re scarily inseparable. Also, Gansey falters.
- Family goals – Pg 258 + 259
- Is driving an old, loud Camaro the male equivalent of shredding your tee shirts & gluing cardboard trees -re-purposed canvas *the environment breathes a sigh of relief*- to your bedroom walls?
- Jane and Dick.
- I love the so many layers and sides to Gansey.
- Oh, this book is so filled with magic.
- Blue questioning who would she be without her family.
- How Gansey is without his a-okay mask on and how he plays the role of the moderator, no matter what.
- Adam feeling caged.
- Gansey wanting to be like Adam and Adam wanting to be like Gansey.
- Adam and Gansey fighting break my heart but I love it so much.
- Adam & Blue sitting on a tree – definitely not K I S S I N G
- “Blue was suddenly afraid for him (Adam).”
- Adam breaks my heart.
- I hate everybody who doesn’t like Adam.
- Who makes Noah- Blue stronger, Gansey human and Ronan belong.
- Adam doesn’t think he’s enough nor does he think he’s equal to Gansey *breakheart*
- Gansey wants to be like Adam because Adam was so very real and true in a way that Gansey couldn’t ever seem to be.
- Blue’s room= green lamp light, canvas trees decorated with collaged and found paper leaves, dried flowers on closet doors, ceiling fan hanging with feathers and lace.
- Drugs are no fun- their effects are proven (Blue logic).
- Blue’s first sneaking out (combined family effort, A+).
- Ronan writing ‘Remembered’ on the dusty car where Noah was writing ‘Murdered’.
- Excelsior- onward and upward.
- Adam – a study in survival.
- Blue thinking: Nothing really bad has ever happened to me.
- Pg 398.
- Gansey’s drastic reaction to Whelk dying – take lesson humans.
- ‘Gansey felt loss looming.’
And hence the notes get over. Obviously I’ve shortened them quite a bit and yet they are 50. Tbh I could write a whole book on why The Raven cycle series is so amazing. But here’s a blog post instead.
GO gaga with me in the comments.
Lots of love,