Publication Date: November 10, 2014
Publisher: Booktrope Publishing
Targeted Audience: Young Adult
[Note: I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review]
I’m going to be honest- I HATED THIS BOOK! I hated it so much oh god! I should have DNF’ed it but NOPE being the idiot that I am, I read till the end. It was an absolute waste of my time!
Now that we have successfully established my hatred for this book. Let’s delve into the why’s.
*I hate in bullet points*
1. This book disses Twilight but I honestly cannot compare it to anything else.
2. How on earth don’t people realize that calling another woman (or even yourself!) a b***h isn’t feminist at all! STOP DEGRADING YOURSELF AND OTHER WOMEN! It just invites other people to do the same *angry snarling*
3. Riley doesn’t seem to UNDERSTAND anything! The problem is not that she is a teenager. The problem is that she has no brains! We see and know the same things as her yet we see the situation in a better light than this infuriating character.
4. And the storyline!! SO PATHETIC AND CLICHED! A.K.A Girl sees something, girl finds out truth about herself by seeing the thing, later finds out someone in her family knew all along! Hence, girl being a little shit about everything and whining about all things known to mankind. AND OBVIOUSLY ONLY THINKING ABOUT BOYS WHEN HER SITUATION IS SO FREAKING MESSED UP!
5. How is popping into your room to check up on you at random times without your permission NOT THE SAME as Edward watching Bella sleep?? PLEASE. NO.
6. BOYS ARE NOT IMPORTANT! As a young teenager, when I used to read books like these (a.k.a Twilight) I thought they were, but now, when I’m at the end of my teenage years I’ve realized that the books that said so were liars! If I found out I was an angel of death, falling in love or even having a crazy infatuation (as that is exactly what happened with Riley no matter what crap she spouts about being in love) would be at the bottom of my list of top 2154646354454846 things that need my attention!
7. Leander: “You’re really scared of getting stalked.”
Me: REALLY?? REALLY LEANDER?? I WONDER FREAKING WHY!!
8. When Katie (Riley’s best friend apparently, you wouldn’t know by the amount of hate that seems to be between them) finds out the truth about her “boyfriend” (who is of course the one and only guy after a thousand other guys who were clearly not worth her time *eye roll*) She is hurt instead of terrified… WHAT?! I mean, that person killed people!! PLEASE. And she begs for his life?? DO YOU HAVE ANY BRAINS KATIE?? (And to anyone who is going to complain about me having spoiled this piece of what apparently is a plot twist, people of Earth… believe me when I say that anyone and I mean ANYONE could have seen this plot twist coming miles and miles away. It’s probably the oldest plot twist and the most used plot twist in the history of plot twists.)
9. Sometimes the statements Riley makes, make her seem so immature and 2D and NOT REAL. For example, at one point her friends try to stop her from killing the said boyfriend of Katie (His name is Myron by the way) and she says to us (the reader) “Can’t they just shut up and let me kill him?”… I don’t think I NEED to say anything anymore.
10. “I felt a pang of anger. I was the one who was going to sacrifice my life to save hers. Yet she acted all pissed off towards me.” I mean, EXCUSE ME if I’m wrong but is she your best friend OR NOT?!?! And nobody is asking you to “sacrifice your life” for her. YOU decided it yourself! I honestly cannot describe how stupid she is.
11. When Leander speaks to her in front of her friends, she literally doesn’t give a shit about what her friends say. There is actually a scene where she just ignored what her friend was saying and started talking to Leander.
12. WHAT ABOUT RILEY’S WINGS?? WHERE ARE THEY?? If they aren’t there then WHY AREN’T THEY THERE??
13. She always seems to feel a “pang” of something or the other.
14. At the end she realized that her “infatuation” (which she calls love) was over because “she didn’t feel butterflies anymore”… I swear I could kill her.
15. The souls that angels take go to Heaven and the ones reapers take go to hell? So basically it’s a race to take souls?? So what about bad people and good people?? What shit is this??
16. Leander had no flaws. And that pisses me off because I need characters that are flawed. WHO ON EARTH DOESN’T??
17. Riley pisses me off because she says that she doesn’t like Leander anymore because he is too selfless?? FREAKING KILL YOURSELF RILEY!!
18. Katie pisses me off because at one point she loves Myron even though he is a killer and the next moment she hates him. WHUT. IS. DIS?
19. Riley wants to be selfless AND selfish AND she is messed up OH GOD! I hate this book so much more than Twilight.
20. “We aren’t dating dating” Kill me.
Blurb: When sixteen-year-old Riley is injured in a car crash and sees a girl stealing a boy’s soul, she’s convinced she’s hallucinating. But when she sees the same girl at the hospital later, she knows she wasn’t dreaming. That’s when Riley learns her secret heritage and who she really is: a halfling Angel of Death.
Riley must come to terms with her new reality and supernatural abilities, but before she can do this, girls her age start dying in mysterious circumstances. It’s up to Riley to figure out why, what the innocent victims have in common, and what she can do to stop them.
Lot’s of love, for you guys and hate, for this book~